Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Lavender Magic

Okay, maybe this year my lavender will survive!  Last year's lavender drowned...and so did the $$$ I put into purchasing different kinds. I didn't know then that it needs well-drained soil... and because we get so much rain here, it's important to pay special attention to this fact. 

I have planted my lavender in a spot that keeps fairly dry due to the small  roof overhang above it...I have also put in a more sandy/mulch soil mixture. I am confident that this year's crop will survive, however I will have to measure the amount of sunlight they receive in this spot (they like the sun!).  Brian Minter (a Fraser Valley known 'garden guru') suggested I go with these varieties; Munstead, Hidcote and Baby Blue, he said that they are better suited for our BC climate... but to know that lavender alike Rosemary is a Meditteranean-origin plant... hence the need for well-drained soil and little water.

I store lavender in my tea cupboard (in a giant glass jar) and mix it in my sleepy-time tea concoctions. It's great for calming the nerves and easing insomia.  It has a strong aroma and can easily take over the flavor when mixing with other herbs, so you only need to use a little.  I like to mix it with lemon balm and chamomile, for starters...  Lavender can also be used as a cooking herb... I have yet to experiment using it in different dishes.  [Currently, I only buy enough from a local health store for tea].  At some point, if I can grow enough lavender [a field of it would be dreamy] I would like to learn how to make lavender oil.  I know first hand the healing magic of lavender after applying it to my bike wound (gauge in my leg) last summer...   Not only is lavender oil great for wounds with its antiseptic and antibacterial qualities... you can also use it for cleaning your house (anti-bacterial) and it smells great!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment