Sunday, April 25, 2010

And then there was life....

Onions, onions, oo oo ooo....  There was actually a song I learned in elementary school that went something like that and this..  "I don't like snakes or toads or frogs, or strange things living under logs, but ooooooo, I love onions... Onions, onions, ooo ooo ooo.. a root a toot toot, a root a toot toot toot".  I have yet to find anyone that has come across this song.  But let me tell you... it gets stuck in my head again when I see the onions sprouting.

The Kolhorabi is peaking through and doing quite well.  To be honest, neither Jason or I have ever tried this vegetable.  We are still not quite clear on what it is and how to cook it.   After a brief google search, I have found that it tastes alike broccoli and that it is apart of the cabbage family.   One can eat it raw or cooked... It can be shredded into a salad, made into a slaw, steamed, roasted....and on and on.   It's leaves are also edible apparantly...but I would like to look into that a bit more.  For now, all we need to know is that we are to pick it while it is smaller than a tennis ball [for the best flavor and tenderness].  This could be an interesting task, seeing that it is a root crop, and its size will not be visible to us until we dig it up.   The trick will be in digging it up neither too early or too late.
  
Peas! Peas! Oh Please!  Jason started planted peas in February... these are early regular peas (a paladilo variety).   He then went on to plant more peas in the weeks to follow including a row of snow peas, a row of sugar snap peas, and three rows of shelling peas.   I think peas have taken over our garden!   They should be ready for picking by the end of May, Jason figures.  Then we can rotatil the plants back in the ground [they are great for adding nitrogen] and plant our later-in-the-season crops. 
I can't wait for the spinach and the lettuce to get big enough to munch on!   Won't be much longer...looks like they are well on their way!

    My eyes can now see the potatoe 'eyes' that are now small plants.   Jason planted six rows of potatoes starting back in February including russet, yukon gold, a purple variety, and others.   I think maybe the potatoes are competing with the peas for garden space...  We will need two backyards at this planting rate!     
I can't believe the chives have already flowered! 

No comments:

Post a Comment