Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ready, Set, Grow!

The garlic I planted in February is already sprouting! I'm still wondering if these bulbs will grow to their normal size, being planted late and all.

My wild strawberries are already blossoming. Hope the bees find their way to them soon. These wild strawberries are 'wildly' awesome how they seem to keep growing and growing from early summer to late fall. And the berries are so tiny and sweet, so unlike the other strawberries you find locally. I bought two wild plants from a garden fair last year [$2.00 each] and planted them in this one area, where they are now taking over! And the winter didn't seem to bother them one bit.
I recently read that strawberry leaves can be dried and used for a tea. I will be doing more reading on this and will keep you posted.

The rubbarb is coming back to life. Did you know rubarb is a great LOCAL alternative to use where it might otherwise call for lemons? Did you also know the leaves are poisonous - keep it where children and pets won't be tempted to munch on it!


Did I mention the chives are growing steadily? I have a soft place for chives in my heart, ever since Jason showed up on our first date with a bundle full of chives from his garden [now our garden] two years ago when I met him. That and flowers from his garden, which happened to be more like 'sticks with flowers' as what was in bloom at that time, included the magnolia tree and other bushes. Come to think of it, it was a month later in the season than it is now [April] and yet our plants/trees are over a month ahead of schedule in comparison to where they were at that year [2008].



No comments:

Post a Comment