Monday, April 29, 2013

A Wild Spring Green, "Gardenized"


I love my Miner's Lettuce!


Brought one of these beauties home from a Metachosin organic CSA farm last summer. It's now grown into several plants in my garden - YEAH!

Miner's lettuce is a native, wild green found here in the forested landscapes of Western B.C. It was given the name during the California Gold Rush as 'once upon a time' miners ate it to get their vitamin C to prevent scurvy. It's an early spring green (just like the dandelion) and makes a great addition to salads. It's kinda like spinach in taste - and definitely a lovely looking green. I'm having fun adding them to my Sensational Salad's this spring!

P.S. See if you can spot a plant or two the next time you take a hike through nature :)





No comments:

Post a Comment